A number of industrial units including Marble, Stone processing, Weaving and Hunting & Sporting arms in cluster form are running in FATA. Service entities dealing mainly in trading, distribution, retailing, custom clearance and transportation are also operating through the length and breadth of FATA. However, some problems like poor infrastructure, shortage of skilled labour, power shortages, locational disadvantage and on top of all absence of Regulatory Framework are hurdles to investment in FATA but incurring high cost of doing business.
Based on these problems, the mega project of “Mohmand Industrial Estate (MIE)” was initiated and is near completion. The MIE is an industrial estate with tremendous investment and growth opportunities for the entrepreneurs through infrastructure availability. It is equipped with dedicated infrastructure, regular power & utilities availability within the same vicinity which will substantially reduce the cost of doing business. It is estimated that in addition to other economic benefits, the Industrial Estate will generate more than 18000 direct and indirect jobs in the area where unemployment is rampant. After establishment of MIE, available marble and other minerals can be processed into products.
Mohmand Industrial Estate
- MIE is located in District Mohmand
- 2km from Warsak Dam
- 29km from Peshawar dry port and airport
- 25km form Peshawar-Torkham highway
- Junction point to the major marble mining clusters of districts Khyber, Mohmand and Bajaur
The establishment of Mohmand Industrial Estate is envisioned to facilitate a number of marble and other minerals units lying scattered in and around Mohmand district and to overcome the problems like poor infrastructure, shortage of skilled labor, power shortage, locational disadvantage, absence of regulatory framework and incurrence of high cost of doing business. Once operationalized, MIE will usher a new era of socio-economic development in FATA.
In addition, various steps have been taken for installation of industrial estates in Central and Southern Tribal districts. Keeping in view the meager allocations of FATA DA ADP, various donors have been approached to fund these Industrial Estates. These Industrial Estates are:
- Industrial Estate Naurak, North Waziristan
- Industrial Estate South Waziristan
- Industrial Estate Sub Division Hasankhel
- Industrial Estate Darazinda
- Industrial Estate Shahkas, Khyber
- CFTC/Effluent Plant in Mohmand Industrial Estate.
Under this sector, the following feasibility studies have been conducted:
- Survey-Enumeration of Industries, Service sector entities, Labour force and identifying constraints in FATA
- Regularity Regime for Industry, Commerce and Trade in FATA
- Coal Briquetting plant
- Tourism in FATA
Based on these studies, various projects have been designed by concerned organizations.