FATA has been bestowed with huge natural resources. Major mineral recourses in FATA are shown in the following table:
|S/No||Name Of Mineral||Indicated Reserves (Approx.)||Proven Reserves||Present Extraction|
|13||Cement grade Limestone||800||460||1.200|
In order to enhance the mineral development potential, FATA DA has initiated a number of mineral exploration, infrastructure development and private sector facilitation projects which, on completion, will provide basis for planning mineral sector activities on scientific lines. This will promote confidence building of private sector for investment resulting in generation of enormous employment opportunities and supply of indigenous raw material to the local industry. Some of these projects have been completed and others are in progress.
In addition to the existing one Mine Rescue center in Babar Mela (Orakzai Agency), two new satellite Mine Rescue Centers have been established in Darra Adam Khel (FR Kohat) and Dauli (Orakzai Agency). This has resulted in economic activities in the area. Moreover, 300 safety equipment were provided to miners in various areas. These miners are now safely carrying out mining activities in the area. Moreover, 35 closed mines were also re-opened during last year. After the personal efforts of Governor Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, work on soap stone mining in Kurram Agency was re-started during last year, after 8 years. As a result, 10,000 tons soapstone was extracted which generated Rs. 196 millions. (Rs. 18 million paid to the quaum as quami commission @ Rs. 1800 per ton, Rs. 15 million was FATA DA share @ Rs. 1500 per ton and the remaining Rs. 156 million went to investor. About 400 locals were engaged in this activity.
Achievements in Oil & Gas exploratory activities are detailed below:
- Geological Mapping completed in December, 2016.
- During last one year, various Oil & Gas companies including OGDCL, Al-Hajj, BGP (Chinese Company), Senshe (Chinese company), Geofysika (Polish Company) & Mole (Hungarian company) established Camp Offices in different Agencies/FRs and started exploration of oil and gas in the leased out areas. Names of companies and relevant blocks whereas they started exploration, are as under:
- OGDCL started exploration activities in Tirah Block (Khyber Agency, Kurram Agency & Orakzai Agency), Orakzai Block (Orakzai Agency & Kurram Agency), Latamber Block (FR Bannu), Wali Block (FR Lakki, FR Tank & SWA), Kohat Block (Lower Orakzai, FR Kohat & FR Peshawar).
- Al-Hajj has started activities in Baska North (FR DIK & SWA).
- Mole started activities in Tal Block (NWA & FR Bannu).
- 1600 locals (skilled and unskilled) provided jobs by these companies.
- For the first time in the history of FATA, more than 20 billion rupees have been invested by various Oil & Gas companies. This was made possible under the supervision of Governor, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa who took keen interest in inviting these companies. He regularly guided FATA DA in this regard.
- These oil and gas companies have constructed drinking water schemes in their respective blocks/areas. The locals of these areas are benefitting from these completed drinking water schemes.
- In addition, these companies have established free medical camps in the respective blocks/areas. In these camps, free medicines have been distributed amongst the locals.